I would like to take this time to reflect on 2013 and look forward into 2014. This year has seen the dedication of volunteers continue to make our community strong. From the councillors serving on committees to the vast number of unseen volunteers who continue to fill roles unknown to many. On behalf of the community - thank you.
This year has seen:
- the change of the Community Administrator from Joanne Smith to Tracey Allen, many thanks to the HR Committee on facilitating the process;
- the amalgamation of North Shore Community Centre and Stanhope Place to come under the direct responsibility of the Community of North Shore completed;
- the development of various sports programming for children and other events thanks to a Community Centre/Events Committee;
- the hard work of the Planning Committee to bring in a Planning document and by-laws to regulate our planning for the next five years;
- the transition of finances to accommodate the amalgamation and change in staffing;
- the expansion of the promenade, many thanks to MLA Robert Vessey for assisting with this new development;
- the improvement of communications to the citizens of the Community of North Shore via social media, website www.stanhopecovehead.pe.ca and e-newsletter;
The Fire Department received 80 calls and maintain a volunteer fire fighter base of 32 dedicated individuals. Their planning includes future replacement of mandatory equipment within a 5-10 year plan. Many thanks to Fire Chief Bob Morrison for his work in this area.
The Community of North Shore will complete the year with a very tight budget and the challenge for 2014 will be to review all expenses and look for efficiencies, while reviewing our revenue sources, all to bring in a balanced budget, as required by the Municipal Act.
The year 2014 promises to be an exciting year with a number of events planned:
- A celebration of 2014, Multi-cultural Day, Canada Day, and Remembrance Day;
- Depending on funding received the hiring of two summer students to facilitate new projects - summer cedilhs as a revenue generator and water/sewer education/research to prevent future problems.
- New sports programming for children and adults;
- A possible yard sale event and Valentine's Day dance;
- The Annual General Meeting on Wednesday, March 5th at 7:00pm including a by-election for a vacant councillor seat for the area of Covehead Road;
- Municipal Election is set for November 3rd;
On behalf of the Community of North Shore Council and staff, I would like to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2014.
Chair, Community of North Shore Council